Escalator Safety Tips
Escalators are found everywhere, from shopping malls and arenas to airports and convention centres, these installations are convenient wherever they’re installed. However, when used improperly, escalators can become hazardous and cause unnecessary injuries.
Read on to learn about the top safety tips for using escalators.
Safety tips for riders
While escalators are among the safest modes of transports in the world, it’s still important that you use them in the right way. Here we explain some of the safety guidelines you should follow:
When entering the escalator
- Never walk up an escalator going the opposite direction.
- Step on the escalator carefully, standing on the centre of the step, not in between steps where the escalator moves.
- Ensure your shoelaces are tied properly.
- Use the handrail for support especially if you’re holding something in your other hand.
- Do not take wheelchairs, electric scooters, strollers, trolleys, walking sticks or similar items on the escalator.
Riding the escalator
- Pay attention so you know when to step off the escalator.
- Keep any loose clothing is away from the sides of the escalator where they can get caught.
- Face forward and stand still as you ride the escalator.
- Don’t let children sit on the steps.
- Always wear shoes and avoid using escalators when wearing open-toe shoes or flip flops.
- If you spot an emergency situation use the emergency button which is usually located at the top or bottom of the escalator.
- Never walk on a non-moving escalator unless you are told it’s safe to do so.
- Don’t try and squeeze too many people on one step.
Exiting the escalator
- Step off the escalator promptly to avoid tripping or bumping into people behind you.
- Move away when the top of the escalator to avoid pile-ups.
- Don’t let your feet slide off the edge, step off the escalator instead.
Here at Euro Lifts, based in South West England, as well as installing a range of high-quality lifts we can also install escalators. Our professional team have over 25 years of experience in the industry, providing excellent solutions for every clients’ needs. For more information about our services, get in touch today.